Friday, January 11, 2008

Singing is the music nature makes....

I'm back to finishing Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself by Alan Alda. In the book Mr. Alda has the commencement speech that he gave at Caltech in 2002. I've gone back to part of this speech several times....

"WHY? Why should I do this impossible things?
Well, I don't know, maybe for the same reason that the birds sing.
If it does for you what if does for birds, there's a lot to recommend it:

1. It's a good way to improve your chances of having sex.
2. It feels good to sing.
3. Singing is the music nature makes when it dances the dance of life."


Now, I haven't exactly figured out what it is about this that keeps drawing me back. #3 especially causes me to stop. To stop and think. To stop and dream.

Will I figure out what it is about this? I don't know.
I do know that I'll be singing while I'm doing it.

No comments: